picture of driveway culvert

Any culvert used to gain access to your property is your responsibility. Whether a culvert is new or being replaced, the property owner is responsible for the entire cost. All maintenance activities, such as flushing, are covered by the Township. If your culvert needs to be replaced, you must do so in a timely manner.

Please note: If a culvert is placed illegally without written consent from the Township, you will have five days to remove it. Otherwise, it will be removed at your expense.

Culvert construction requirements

When constructing a culvert, you need to meet certain requirements:

  • Minimum diameter of 15 in
  • Minimum length of:
    • 9m for residential
    • 12m for agricultural/commercial/industrial

Apply for a permit

To apply for a Driveway Culvert Permit, also known as an Entrance Permit, please complete the application below.

When submitting your Entrance Permit Application, please include the following information:

  • A copy of the Certificate of Insurance
  • A sketch or map of the proposed entrance
  • A W.S.I.B. Clearance Certificate if a contractor will complete the work

Entrance Permit Application


An Entrance Permit fee of $1405 is required when submitting your application. This includes a $155 inspection fee and a $1250 deposit. Once you receive final inspection approval, any deposit remaining will be refunded to you. Please also note that construction must be completed within 1 year or the permit will expire.

Currently payment can only be received at Town Hall. Visit us at 318 Canborough Street in Smithville between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday to pay in person, or you can use our 24 hour drop box to drop off a cheque payment.

Your application will be reviewed by our Public Works Department and our Planning Department. To get final approval, you must follow any conditions outlined by staff. If you have any questions about culvert/entrance permits, please contact us at 905-957-3346 ext. 5139 or email us.

Regional Roads

For the construction or alteration to an entrance on Regional Road, visit the Niagara Region's website for more information and to complete an Entrance Permit Application.